Barbie goes ‘naked’ with packaging-free Lush products

Lush Cosmetics has partnered with Mattel’s Barbie to create ‘naked’ products that don’t require any packaging.

Lush creative concepts director Melody Morton said the partnership with Barbie is “truly a dream come true for Lush.”

The package-free Barbie products include soaps, bath bombs and bubble bars.

Products that do require packaging will be part of the beauty brand’s Bring it Back closed-loop recycling programme which encourages customers to bring back its product plastic packaging to any of its stores for 50p credit. In 2022, Lush estimated that 720,000 packaging items were return to its shops through its circular economy scheme.


Subscribe to Sustainability Beat for free

Sign up here to get the latest sustainability news sent straight to your inbox each day


Through its sustainable initiatives the beauty brand states it saves nearly “6 million plastic bottles globally from selling shampoo bars alone.”

“When packaging is unavoidable, we prefer to use recycled materials. 90%, by weight, of our packaging material is recycled and we’re working on the remaining 10%.”

“We like our packaging to be reused, recycled or composted at the end of their lives and aim to have 100% of our packaging recyclable or compostable,” it added.

As part of its mission of ‘leaving the world Lusher than we found it’, the brand also launched a new Green Hub at Fleets Corner Business Park in Poole.

In 2022 alone, the existing Green Hub scheme recycled 12 tonnes of polypropylene (PP) plastic through its Bring it Back scheme.

They also recycled 15 tonnes of PET product moulds in a closed loop, and recycled 998 tonnes of manufacturing waste, 81% of Lush’s total manufacturing waste for the UK.

Circular economyMaterials and packagingNewsRetail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.

RELATED POSTS

Menu

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Sign up for our daily update to get all the latest sustainability news, analysis and opinion direct to your inbox.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.